One of my favorite posts to write each year is my official predictions for the season (as opposed to my unofficial predictions, which don't exist). I love the post despite the fact that I am generally quite horrible at predicting things. Don't believe me? Well, if the court allows, allow me to enter into evidence the following predictions I made last season that went horribly awry:
–Saying the Angels would let Aybar go via free agency. This is one I was happy to be wrong about.
–There was no massive Angels-Rangers brawl to the chagrin of many who had hoped to see Ian Kinsler get punched in the face.
–I actually though Jordan Walden was going to be fine and go 38-for-42 on save chances. I mean, I don't even know how to defend that. I really have to lay off the bath salts.
–Jeff Mathis would have a higher batting average than Iannetta. In my defense, I was trolling myself.
–Peter Bourjos would make the All-Star team. This is starting to get embarrassing now
–Mark Trumbo would prove to be an adequate third baseman and start 75 games at that position. YIKES! I feel like I need to hand in my Angel blogger badge and gun now.
This is the part where I would then list the predictions I got right, if only there were any that I definitely nailed. There were basically two that I kind of sort of was correct about, but not correct enough to brag about.
Despite that, I'm going to subject myself, and thus you, to this charade once more. So, without further adieu, here are The Monkey's predictions for the Angels and the 2013 season:
1. Mike Trout will win the sabermetric Triple Crown in the AL (SLG, OBP, SB) or if you prefer something with wOBA or wRC, he'll probably win that too.
2. Trout, Hamilton, Pujols and Trumbo will all hit 30 or more homers.
3. Trout, Aybar and Bourjos will all steal 30 or more bases.
4. Jason Vargas will be the only rotation member not to make a trip to the DL this season but nobody will miss more than a month.
5. Arte Moreno will hold a very public meeting with the AEG group about building a stadium in downtown LA, followed by the city of Anaheim caving in and paying for a boatload of renovations to the Big A and permitting the Angels to drop the "of Anaheim" from their name.
6. Over the All-Star break, Mark Trumbo will sign a five-year, $31 million extension.
7. The only trade the Angels will make at the deadline is a move to improve their bench.
8. Peter Bourjos is going to win a Gold Glove, Mike Trout will not.
9. The Angels will lose the ALCS to the Rays in six games where Mike Scioscia will take a lot of heat for several questionable decisions including too many sac bunts, pulling the infield in to prevent a run and failing to properly play match-ups in the bullpen.
(BONUS PREDICTION: only three of my predictions will actually come true)
And, just for fun, my picks for the season standings and awards:
Blue Jays (91-71)
Red Sox (80-82)
White Sox (77-85)
AL WILD CARD: Rays over Rangers
ALDS: Angels over Jays; Rays over Tigers
ALCS: Rays over Angels
NL WILD CARD: Cardinals over Braves
NLDS: Nationals over Cardinals; Reds over Dodgers
NLCS: Nationals over Reds
WORLD SERIES: Nationals over Rays